Alan Dufty will speak for his fellow ratepayers of Division 2

Down to earth and on YOUR side! Alan Dufty will speak for his fellow ratepayers of Division 2

Friday, February 3, 2012

We need the road travellers to actually STOP here.

Cc: Whitsunday Times ; Whitsunday Coast Guardian
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:00 PM
Subject: Letter to the Editor

After the closure of the Information Centre last year, I wrote several letters to the local papers voicing my concern at the closure.
No one commented publically. Two weeks ago I wrote another letter to which Peter O'Reilly from Tourism Whitsunday and Lyle Reinbott, Division 1 Candidate, replied with great criticism of my comments.
Could the criticism aimed at me now have anything to do with a Local Government Election coming up?
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. What I said was, referring to the 70% of visitors who come by road, "Not a cent is being spent to encourage them to STOP in our area" and in another sentence "Why aren't we encouraging these people to STOP as most seem to pass us by.”
Yes, Tourism Whitsunday is doing great advertising to get people to come to the Whitsundays. My observation and concern is that we need the road travellers to actually STOP here.
Since the closure of the Information Centre, I have heard laments from the staff at the Proserpine Museum and Proserpine Business Houses that people go and ask them where the Information Centre is located.
When driving to a new town the first thing you look for is an Information Centre to get first hand information and maps of the area.
It's not a question of whether we can afford to have an Information Centre, it's can we afford not to.
In my opinion, the whole area is missing out on a large proportion of visitors because we have no Information Centre.
 Alan Dufty,
Glen Isla.
Alan Dufty for Whitsunday Council - Division 2 - 
Alan Dufty for Whitsunday Regional Council division two, Alan Dufty paraplegic athlete, 

No comments:

Post a Comment